Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Day one of boot camp.

Alrighty, day one.
Matt was scheduled to leave Monday 3/4, but for some reason they took him away for some last minute tests, and by the time he got back it was too late for him to leave. We sat with him for a little in the cafeteria and I found out when he gets back from AIT, he will have 10 days at most to spend with us. That was a killer. I immediately started crying, because I thought we'd have way more time than that considering he will be gone for so long already. This is all just part of the life, and I calmed down and reminded myself of that when I got home. The next day, Tuesday, we headed back up to Fort Meade for Matt's official departure. I don't think I've waited so long for something so short in my whole life, and the worst part was that while we were waiting in the main lobby, Matt was waiting in the room across from us and we couldn't see him or talk to him. After he swore in we got to eat lunch with him and talk with him for a little over 30 minutes. It wasn't nearly long enough, though. After that he headed back into that little room, and his mom and I sat and waited again for almost an hour. We watched him as he walked out to grab his bag, and then back into the room. Shortly after they called over the announcements for all to stand as the new shippers headed out. We all stood and watched as our loved ones walked out the door. I got a quick hug and kiss as Matt walked by. With tears running down my face I reminded him that I loved him. This is even making me tear up as I write. Anyways, he walked out the door towards the buses and we followed behind. I could see him scanning the crowd for our faces, so I waved my hands up high and he finally saw us. We stood on the sidewalk as the buses drove by and we waved to each other one last time. His mother and I slowly  made our way back to the car and off we went back home. This brings me to day one.
 How have I dealt so far? I've pigged out and watched a movie until I got too tired to keep my eyes open any longer. Maybe that's not the best thing to do, but I did it any ways. I woke up this morning, grabbed my school things, and my laundry, and headed up the stairs. I began writing my first letter to Matt. I wrote all about the snow and other things, and as the day goes on I will add more. He said before that he didn't want to write letters during boot camp, but whether I receive a letter or not I will continue writing them every day, and he will just get to read them all whenever it's possible :) I plan to spend the rest of today doing school work I missed yesterday and watching movies on and off. I wouldn't mind if FCC (my community college) decided to cancel schools tomorrow too, because I could definitely use the down time.
I miss Matt so much already, I think it is 100% impossible to get him off my mind at all, but that's fine with me. Some say it's best not to think of what makes you sad, but thinking of him makes me feel better. I know he's thinking of me too.
My advice so far would be to keep doing your normal daily activities, while relaxing and keeping calm. Start writing letters ASAP! It feels like you're actually talking to them. Don't forget he misses you just as much as you miss him!

2 comments:

  1. I am proud of you for showing courage. You and Matt are both very strong individuals. Don't forget that Rose and I are here for you if you need us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim! I'm sure trying to keep strong, I just have to keep reminding myself that it's nothing compared to forever and it will all be worth it in the end. Thanks again, I love you guys! I'm so glad to be joining your family!

      Delete